Monday, October 26, 2009

Spotlight: My Q & A with Weiner Milien......

I was fortunate enough to have to opportunity to have a Q & A with fellow Haitian, Weiner Milien. Weiner is a "2 Time Emmy Award Winner" and basically a jack of all trades. He is a Cinematographer, Producer, Director, Lighting Designer, Former dancer (who used to dance for Special Ed) and former Grafitti Writer. Also, while doing this all, he is a family man! He recently worked on a project which is entitled "Just Blame Chad" that he produced along with Sean Williams. He will also discuss that further in the interview. So, for those who don't know about Weiner Milien, let me put you on. Again, thank you for having this sitdown with me Weiner, it was a pleasure. Enjoy folks……

(Q) How long have you been in the TV film / industry?



(A) I've been working professionally in the TV/Film business for 15 years.




(Q) You're a 2 time emmy winner, what did you win for?


(A) My first Emmy was for my video photography work during the closing ceremony of Ground Zero. Aside from a few still photographers and 1 other national "pool" broadcast camera I was the only other broadcast camera allowed to videotape from the pit.


(Q) Describe your daily grind...


(A) My day usually starts anywhere from 6a-7a, where my wife and I get the kids ready for school and the sitter. Once they are squared away I make my way to the offices of NYCTV, where I will coduct production related business for the station. This usually includes, scheduling crews, meeting with producers, fielding production requests, or if I'm on assignment, prepping for a shoot.


(Q) Is it easy to balance work for someone else in production with your own endeavors?


(A) The short answer is no. The long answer: When I first started in the business I was just happy to get any type of work because at the time I didn't have my own endeavors. Now, I usually go between jobs where I'm just a hire and gigs where I get more involved and become a producer or production consultant as well as a DP (Director of Photography). It does pose a challenge at times but I've met a ton of good people and have worked on some really interesting projects.




(Q) You grew up and still live in Brooklyn..how has that influenced your hustle and creativity?


(A) I grew up in a low-income to working class neighborhood where all I ever saw was people grind hard just to get by. In addition to that, my parents and most of my extended family are immigrants to this country. Watching how they came here with very little english and work their way up and around was very inspirational. It taught me to not take things for granted and to always push ahead. BK is creativity..look at the way they eat, live, walk, talk, love...you get the picture!




(Q) A mutual friend tells me that you used to be one of Special Ed's dancers..please enlighten us...


(A) I grew up most of my life in Flatbush, Brooklyn and I knew Ed to be one of the local cats from the neighborhood. During my years at Tilden High School I managed to get the reputation of being a decent hip hop dancer and in my senior year Ed was transferred there and we became cool. When it came time for him to shoot the "I Got It Made" music video he asked me to get him some dancers and to choreograph a routine. Soon after the the video was out and the record became a hit he asked me and two of my classmates Belinda "Lyte" Boney and Patrice Buffaloe to join him on the road as his official dancers...the rest is history.




(Q) Talk about your latest project "Just Blame Chad"?


(A) "Just Blame Chad" is a sketch comedy show that my homie Sean "Paper Chaser" Williams and I are producing that is based on sneaker culture. It features skits that have been written by the members of the OSD (Obsessive Sneaker Disorder) crew and even has musical guests. The show comes from the podcast show that the OSD crew has been operating online for some time and a lot of the ideas stem from the many discussions they've had on the show. I was approached by Sean to help with the production end of things and it took me no time at all to realize that I was working with some of the funniest and most knowledgeable cats when it come to kicks. The first episode is available for viewing now at www.o-s-d.tv on the On Demand section of the site.


(Q) What made you want to get into TV/Film…what was your inspiration?


(A) Honestly, all I wanted was a "cool" job and when I went to college I just happen to walk into a editing class by accident and once I saw what they were doing I was hooked. I changed my curriculum from Respiratory Therapy to Corporate/Cable Communications. But I also remember being on the set of the "I Got It Made" video and being very intrigued by what the camera operator was doing like where he was placing the camera and listening to what the director was shouting. I was also a huge music video fan and believe all of these things happen to inspire me to want to get into the business.


(Q) Chip Fu was and interesting choice as a musical guest...how did that come about?


(A) First of all, Chip Fu aka Jungle Rock Jr is family! Sean and I went to Tilden High School with Chip. More recently, I just finished directing and producing a music video for Chip Fu called "Ridiculous" and when Sean told me that he wanted to have a musical guest for the show I suggested Chip and since he was familiar with some of his new music we both decided WHY NOT? He would be our inaugural guest plus we knew it would throw people for a loop. Shout Out to Chip!


(Q) Out of all of the projects that you've been involved in-what was your favorite?


(A) "Just Blame Chad" of course! The OSD crew is a group of talented and knowledgeable people shout out to Chad Jones, Dee Wells, Showidee, Megga, and our post production supervisor Patrick Ulysse. I also have to shout out 3 other projects that are near and dear to me not only because I have a vested interest but because of the people behind these projects such as Conrad Stojak, the writer and director of an independent feature entitled "The Woodhaven Pause", Jahidah Diaab, writer and producer of "Short Comings: Humor in Orgasmic Proportions", and Charles Jones, writer, director, and producer of the documentary feature entitled "The Life and Work of Dr. William A. Hinton". In each of these projects I am more than just a hired DP and I've done so willingly because I believe in each of the stories they tell, how they tell that story, and who is telling them.


(Q) What advice would you give to anyone who is interested in choosing a career in TV/Film?


(A) My advice to anyone who wants to get into this business....GO TO LAW SCHOOL! I'm kidding. I would first say go learn about the craft in anyway you can. Stay up on the technology too because it changes more and more rapidly everyday. I'd also strongly suggest that you intern at as many media organizations as you can. Lastly, if this is what you really want to do be serious about it and stay consistent good luck out there!
 
** HERE IS "JUST BLAME CHAD"- -

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you Lolly. I never knew about this man and his work. So proud that there are Haitians out there making a good name for us besides Wyclef. The interview was very insightful and detailed. Enjoyed it every much with my little cousin. Keep up the good work.
Rose

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your interview very much! From one Haitian to another you BOTH make me proud.
Marge

Anonymous said...

Great Job Lolly! We want more!